Last week, I publically lauded RCI for responding quickly to consumer issues via Twitter.
In the "no good deed goes unpunished" book of karma, I received a tweet from an RCI member who had his confirmed RCI exchange cancelled by RCI and was in danger of losing his entire vacation.
I'm reprinting his e-mail here, without any personal information, in the hopes that:
a) Someone in charge at RCI will step in and assist
b) I hear from anyone else who has encountered a similar situation
Many thanks for your interest regarding RCI’s cancellation of my
timeshare week in Italy which I posted on the @RCI_Timeshare twitter account on
17 May 2013.
Firstly, my name is ______, an Australian resident. I have been an
RCI member since 1989.
Here are the details regarding the issue I have with RCI.
My wife and I have planned a round the world trip, commencing 1
June 2013 – that is,
there are only 2 weeks
until we leave, as from today.
On 1 May 2013, we booked 3 timeshare weeks through RCI. All 3 resorts
had availability for the
Availability was a
on our travel dates and arrangements, as to be expected.
One of the resorts is Perugia, Italy, was available from 6 July until 13
July 2013. This was
booked and confirmed by RCI, of which I have a copy of the confirmation. On
confirmation, we arranged our return flights to Rome from London 6th July and 13th
July and train travel from Rome to Perugia. All travel arrangements were
completed and fully paid.
On 9 May 2013, I received a call from out local timeshare group, Holiday
Concepts, through which we deposit
our timeshare weeks with RCI. A local RCI consultant, Courtney, working with the local timeshare
group, discovered from their daily allocation reports that our week had been
deleted. They were not officially informed and neither was I informed nor
contacted by the RCI person who actually deleted the week to discuss the
matter. Fortunately, the local RCI consultant detected the deletion and contacted
me, after trying to determine
who deleted the confirmed week and the reason. Apparently the week was
a RCI person in Ireland, and no reason was given by the Irish person and neither their
This local RCI consultant informed me that the matter has been escalated to
management within RCI and the matter will be resolved. He said he’d call me
back with an update. I am still waiting to hear from him.
After speaking with the RCI consultant I check my RCI account – two
resorts remain confirmed yet one had now been placed on Hold. A resort in
the middle of nowhere and not acceptable to me. Once again, the resort
allocated, was NOT discussed with me.
13 May I called the RCI consultant, Courtney, at Holiday Concepts, for
an update but was advised there was none as yet, He could not provide a
timeframe for a resolution. I logged into my RCI account to check whether the
resort might have been added back to the “confirmed” resorts, yet it hadn’t. In
fact, I noticed a
different resort had been placed on hold on my account, #6924 La Casella –
again, this resort was NOT discussed with me and is far from Rome, into which we will be
flying. It is in the south of Italy, hundreds of miles away
14 May I called RCI Weeks on 1300 368 800 and spoke with a Marvin,
based in Singapore. I advised him of the situation. He said he would
look into the matter and call me back by close of business. I am yet to be
called by Marvin!!
16 May I called RCI Weeks on 1300 368 800 and spoke with a Iskemdar,
also based in Singapore. He apologised for the situation yet apologies
doesn’t resolve the matter. He advised me Customer Services will call me by
close of business. Once again, I am yet to receive their call!!
I posted on the @RCI_Timeshare
twitter account a series
of posts to which a reponse was received from RCI. “Hi ______we would like to look into this further. Can you please email us at email@example.com?” I emailed
the situation to RCI to which I was informed a response will be received from
RCI within in 24 hours.
18 May an email was
Jeff S, eCommerce
Specialist, RCI North America advising “Olivia from the Australia office has
been alerted and is currently working on your issue. She will contact you
as soon as additional information is available.” I replied to Jeff’s email
enquiring what does he mean by “working on your issue” as the he
confirmed week needs to be re-instated and what does he mean by “as soon as
additional information is available” – we will be departing in 2
weeks, a resolution is required immediatlely, which is re-instatement of the
confirmed week. All our
travel arrangements have been made and paid. I have not received a response from
Jeff S yet.
I am now extremely
RCI and yesterday, 19 May
I called RCI Weeks again on 1300 368
800 and spoke with a Rommel,
also based in Singapore.
After a discussion with him, he advised me that the resort, Domus
Volumnia Residence, had withdrawn the week from the RCI timeshare system. This to
me is a breach of contract by the resort , considering the week had been
confirmed for the period requested. RCI should not have permitted the withdrawal! I
suspect the withdrawal was made for financial reasons, that being the resort will receive more than
a timeshare fee, or have
week out at a higher fee.
This is my assumption. I have repeatedly insisted RCI ensure the
confirmed week be re-instated – all my travel is arranged and paid. However Rommel would
not give that guarantee. He advised he’d call me back but, the usual story, he
hasn’t called back. It is now Sunday morning. I did suggest I’d “consider” a
replacement timeshare in Rome, CBD, not elsewhere and the resort must be of a
decent standard, not substandard, as some certainly have been.
I have posted the situation on RCI’s Facebook page however have not
received any response from anyone who manages the page. I have tweeted the
situation and your’s is the only response I have received, and I thank you for
that very much.
I have informed RCI that if the matter is not resolved Monday, I will take the matter to the
media and RCI will be held responsible for my travel costs to and from Rom and
accommodation in Rome. They provided the confirmation on which our travel is
based and add to that, their lack of courtesy contacting me. I have had to call them on
every occasion. I have friends and colleagues, locally and
internationally, who are RCI members and have been informed of RCI’s lack of
responsibility and extremely poor customer service.
Lisa, I will be most appreciative if you can assist in any way to have
RCI re-instated the week they confirmed.
So much for the timeshare community to use social media to resolve issues, huh? I am particularly troubled by the fact this timeshare owner posted the situation on RCI's Facebook page, yet received no response.
Can anyone at RCI reach out to this timeshare owner and explain exactly what is going on? And what is to be done about the upcoming vacation? Who is in control here?