Friday, November 8, 2013

When Is A Voluntary Contribution NOT Voluntary?

Let me start this post with a statement:  I DO NOT OWN A HGVC TIMESHARE.

Got it?  Good.

Let's get to the story.  I received an e-mail from one of my regular posters and a member of the National Timeshare Owners Association that stated in part that, "I am unable to opt-out of the voluntary $5.00 ARDA-ROC fee as part of my HGVC annual fee when paying online.  If I want to opt-out I must pay by mail or call in my payment."

Now before I go out on a rant, I'm throwing this story out to other HGVC owners and more importantly, HGVC and ARDA-ROC.

What's the story here?

Owners of any other timeshares encountered this issue?

1 comment:

Lisa Ann Schreier, The Timeshare Crusader said...

ARDA reached out to me and here is their unedited response:

HGV representatives were concerned to learn of an Owner’s frustration in not being able to opt-out of a voluntary ARDA-ROC fee unless annual fees were paid by mail or via phone.

In fact, HGV does offer the opt-out feature online through a check-box preference. If the box is checked, the voluntary ARDA fee is added … if the box is un-checked, the dollar amount changes to reflect the reduced total amount due.

As an example, please review the screen shot below, which reflects the current positioning for HGV Owners who are processing payments online (note check box to far right).

HGV remains available to assist any Owners with payment or ownership inquiries and we appreciate the opportunity to clarify this information

PLEASE NOTE THAT I AM NOT ABLE TO POST THE SCREEN SHOT, BIT WILL BE HAPPY TO E-MAIL TO ANYONE WHO REQUESTS IT.

Thank you to ARDA.