Very few consumers bother to find out if the salesperson they're dealing with is licensed and what the licensing requirements for sellers are when purchasing a timeshare, Remember that the person asking the questions is in control Make certain that's YOU.
STATES WHERE NO SPECIAL LICENSE IS REQUIRED TO SELL TIMESHARE:
- ILLINOIS: Bureau of Real Estate Professions. Sales agents must be registered to an existing developer registration. Otherwise no special license required. FAX 217/782-7645 – Phone 217/785-0800
- MAINE: Maine Real Estate Commission. No license required. FAX 207/624-8637 -Phone 207/624-8603
- MISSOURI: Under Missouri state law, timeshares are defined as merchandise and fall within the guidelines of Missouri’s Merchandising Practices Act, Chapter 407.600, Missouri Revised Statutes. No Timeshare or RE License required. For more information visit the MO-AG website
For info about real estate issues:
- OKLAHOMA: The Securities Commission regulates Timeshare sales and dealers in Oklahoma. No special license required.
- TEXAS: Texas Real Estate Commission. No special license required. If the sales agent is an employee of the owner of the timeshare, the employee would not be required to be licensed. [Rule 535.5(d)] Otherwise, the sales agent needs to be licensed
- VIRGINIA: Virginia Dept. of Professional & Occupational Regulation. No special license required. Phone: 804/367-8526
- ALABAMA: Alabama Real Estate Commission. Vacation timesharing sales license required.
- LOUISIANA: Louisiana Real Estate Commission. Must be registered as a timeshare interest salesperson, unless you are already a licensed RE Agent.
- MONTANA: Montana Board of Realty Regulation. Special timeshare sales license required (no RE License). FAX 406/841-2323 – Phone 406/444-2961
- NEVADA: Nevada Dept. Business & Industry–Real Estate Division. Timeshare agent license required. FAX 702/486-4275 – Phone 702/486-4033
- PENNSYLVANIA: Pennsylvania Real Estate Commission. A Timeshare Sales Person License required unless you already hold a RE License. Phone 717/783-3658
- SOUTH CAROLINA: South Carolina Dept. of Labor, Licensing & Regulation. Timeshare salesperson license required. Phone 803/896-4400
- SOUTH DAKOTA: South Dakota Real Estate Commission. Timeshare Agent License required.
- TENNESSEE: Tennessee Real Estate Commission. Timeshare salesperson license required. A timeshare salesperson must be affiliated with a licensed real estate firm which is affiliated with a registered timeshare development. A license is required to be issued by the Tennessee Real Estate Commission to engage in the activities of a Timeshare Salesperson.
- UTAH: Utah Division of Real Estate. According to Utah law, all individuals who market, offer, or sell interests in a timeshare or camp resort project in the state of Utah must register as a timeshare salesperson with the Utah Division of Real Estate. To register as a salesperson, submit to the Division:
- Completed and signed Timeshare/Camp Resort Salesperson Application
- $100 non-refundable fee.
- WASHINGTON: Washington Dept. of Licensing, Business & Professional Division– Real Estate. Timeshare Salesperson license required.
- WISCONSIN: Wisconsin Department of Regulation & Licensing. Timeshare salesperson license required. Phone: (608) 266-5439
- ARIZONA: Department of Real Estate. RE License required. FAX 602/468-0562 – Phone 602/468-1414
- ARKANSAS: Arkansas Real Estate Commission. RE License required. FAX 501/683-8020 – Phone 501/683-8010
- CALIFORNIA: California Department of Real Estate. RE License required.
- COLORADO: Colorado Real Estate Commission. Active Colorado RE License required.
- CONNECTICUT: Real estate issues concerning timeshares are regulated by the Department of Consumer Protection. RE License required.
- DELAWARE: Delaware Real Estate Commission. RE License required.
- WASHINGTON D.C.: District of Columbia Real Estate Commission. License?
- FLORIDA: Department of Business and Professional Regulation, Division of Florida Condominiums, Timeshares and Mobile Homes. RE License required.
- GEORGIA: Georgia Real Estate Commission. RE License required. FAX 404/656-6650 – Phone 404/656-3916
- HAWAII: Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs -Real Estate. RE License required.
- IDAHO: Idaho Real Estate Commission. RE License required. FAX 208/334-2050 – Phone 208/334-3285
- INDIANA: Indiana Professional Licensing Agency. RE License required. Phone 317/234-3009
- IOWA: Iowa Real Estate Commission. RE License required.
- KANSAS: There don’t seem to be any timeshare resorts in Kansas, but for your convenience here is information for the Kansas Real Estate Commission.
- KENTUCKY: Kentucky Real Estate Commission. RE License required FAX 502/426-2717 – Phone 502/425-4273
- MARYLAND: Maryland Real Estate Commission. RE License required. FAX 410/333-0023 – Phone 410/230-6200
- MASSACHUSETTS: Massachusetts Real Estate Board. RE License required.
- MICHIGAN: Michigan Department of Energy, Labor & Economic Growth; State Board of Real Estate Brokers & Salespersons. RE License required.
- MINNESOTA: Minnesota Commerce Department. RE License required.
- MISSISSIPPI: Mississippi Real Estate Commission. RE License required.
- NEBRASKA: Nebraska Real Estate Commission. RE License required.
- NEW HAMPSHIRE: New Hampshire Real Estate Commission. RE License required.
- NEW JERSEY: New Jersey Real Estate Commission, Bureau of Subdivided Land Sales Control (BSLSC). RE License required. Phone 609-292-8385
- NEW MEXICO: New Mexico Real Estate Commission, Regulation and Licensing Department. RE Associate Broker or Qualifying Broker License required. FAX 505/246-0725 – Phone 505/841-9120 or 800/801-7505
- NEW YORK: New York Division of Licensing Services. RE License required. Phone 518/473-2728
- NORTH CAROLINA: North Carolina Real Estate Commission. RE License required. Phone 919/875-3700
- NORTH DAKOTA: There don’t seem to be any timeshare developments in North Dakota, but for your convenience: North Dakota Real Estate Commission. (Does not specifically reference timesharing.)
- OHIO: Ohio Division of Real Estate & Professional Licensing. RE License required.
- OREGON: Oregon Real Estate Agency 1177 Center. RE License required. Phone 503/378-4170
- RHODE ISLAND: Rhode Island Department of Business. RE License required.
- VERMONT: Office of Professional Regulation
Real Estate Commission. RE License required.
- WEST VIRGINIA: West Virginia Real Estate Commission. RE License required. Phone: 304/558-3555
- WYOMING: Real Estate Commission. RE License required. Phone: