Thursday, August 4, 2011

An Open Invitation To The Industry

It has again been brought to my attention that some in the traditional timeshare industry think I am a naysayer, a know-nothing, anti-timeshare-or at least anti-developer, an egotist, controversial and/or the devil incarnate.

I'll accept controversial and throw the rest out.

I started out as an Owner Referral Manager at an Orlando resort and moved into timeshare sales and sales management for five years, before striking out on my own as The Timeshare Crusader.  I've made a few mis-steps along the way which I will readily admit to.  I've NEVER claimed to know everything nor do I think that it's an easy task to make timeshare more accepted.

I believe in timeshare and I see no reason why an industry that's been around as long as we have, with so many smart people in it can't do something to increase ownership from 7% to 20% or 25% in 5 years. 

I also believe that the ONLY thing that is stopping that is the fact that many in the industry refuse to understand that timeshare is like every other product/service out there; no better, no worse, and that by clinging to the theory that "we're different" they've painted themselves into this corner.

It has been my sincere pleasure to meet and learn from many industry leaders in the past few years.  I'd venture to say that the majority of them did have a bit of trepidation upon first meeting me...was I really the anti-timeshare person that they had heard about?  Yet, I would imagine that the VAST majority of those leaders who took the time to talk to me and get to know me now understand that I am one of the industry's strongest supporters and advocates...I simply think that changes are overdue.

To the rest of you...the industry leaders and anyone else who works in the industry...here's an open invitation to come up and talk with me at any industry event, e-mail me, call me, take the time to read what I've been saying, take the time to listen to me speak to timeshare owners and timeshare students.

I think you'll be surprised.

No comments: