Monday, January 14, 2019

Charged Closing Costs For a Non-Deeded Timeshare

Another reason to not purchase a timeshare or related product outside of the US and to carefully read and understand the rescission clause:

So still fighting with my credit card company trying to reverse a charge from a meeting at a time share in the Dominican.   Again we were pressured into signing something and after 24 hours went back and issued them a cancelation letter but they are keeping fees for closing costs. I asked closing cost for what? We canceled within the time period.  They said it was in our contact that we signed and agreed to.  I said no the salesman told us we could cancel without any penalty. They sent the contract to my credit card company and therefore my credit card company has charged it back to my account. How can they do this? How can they charge this fee when we canceled? How can they charge us closing costs on something that's not deeded or a piece of property? Any advice?

Sadly, this is not the first time that I’ve heard of a timeshare company retaining some of the down payment even when the purchase ad cancelled within the legal time frame. It’s also not the first time I’ve heard of a timeshare company charging closing costs or other fees commonly associated with a real estate transaction when there was no real estate involved. 

It’s yet another example of consumers needing to ask the right questions and not being afraid to get up and walk out if the answers aren’t agreeable. 


Remember that YOU, not the sales staff is in control. 

P.S.  To make matters worse, I asked this person if this was in fact, a timeshare that she purchased or a vacation club. Her answer?  “I don’t know the difference.”  Kinda difficult to assist now, isn’t it?

No comments: