Thursday, June 10, 2010

Two Examples of "Always/Never Done It This Way" Thinking

I don't like the answer, verbalized or not "That's the way I've/we've always/never done it." I like to do things differently for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is it forces you to think.

I came across two cases in the last week of "Always/never done it this way" thinking involving both sides of the timeshare industry...and prime examples of what's wrong.

The first concerns a developer. I often troll around legitimate resale sites just to see what is out there and to gain ammo for my whole "timeshare is not a product, but a service" paradigm shift that I'm trying to work on. In any event, I came across a 1-bedroom for $85. Yes, you read that right...$85 plus a few hundred for title transfer, etc. A deal in any event, considering the developer in question is selling 1-bedrooms for almost $7,000.

I informed the developer about the situation and asked why he wouldn't snap this up immediately. You can guess the answer..."We've never done that before."

The second example involves a timeshare owner who has fallen victim again to an unscrupulous company claiming to help people out of their timeshare...for a hefty fee. This person gave money upfront to a company even after losing more than $5,000 to companies in the past and still owning the timeshare in question. When I asked why this person would continue to do this when all evidence pointed that this was a poor choice...you guessed it, "We've always believed these companies."

May I remind everyone of the definition of insanity..."Doing the same thing over and over and over again and expecting a different result."

Wake up people.

No comments: