Thursday, December 12, 2019

Can It Get More Deceptive?

It’s almost impossible to believe that this level of deception took place during one sales pitch. However, I have no reason to doubt the authenticity of this saga. 

I’ve redacted the name of the developer in question for purely selfish reasons. I have no interest in receiving a subpoena and this developer has a history of attempting to make things miserable for those individuals who threaten to uncover some of the less consumer friendly practices they routinely employ. They’re a real “gem.”

I purchased "points" with REDACTED the end of August when celebrating a friend's birthday weekend. I was provided misleading and false information by the sales representative into the inducement of purchasing. 

She advised 30,000 points was equivalent to 60,000 points as the value doubles in the first 4 months of the year and that 30,000 points could be transferred to $9,000 to cover the yearly maintenance fees and still have leftover for vacation. My friend was with me at the time and asked over and over specifically about this because it seemed as if we'd then be making money on the points. Melinda, the sales rep, assured us this was true. She also advised I could sell weeks to friends or family to add to the value. 

Lo and behold I've found out almost everything she stated was a lie. It's been 3 months and I've been trying to get out. I paid nearly in full, my entire savings, of $60,000. I'm a single mother to three small children and was not expecting to have to pay maintenance fees as the points were to cover this as I was promised. 

I've now taken out credit against myself to pay an attorney to get me out. I tried to resolve with REDACTED stating I just wanted to give it back and I'll take a hit on the $60k I paid out of pocket just to be free. They were unwilling, despite that it's only been three months and nothing has been used. I'm desperately hoping my attorney will prevail as I don't have the funds to cover the $6,000 in maintenance fees they would be drafting January. It is not what I was promised or told. 

Also, my friend whom was with me was somehow added to my account even though he never signed any paperwork or has relation to me. And REDACTED is attempting to have the responsibility fall on BOTH of us when he never touched a paper or had any dealing with their shady tablet closings. His name is nowhere on the "title". If this doesn't go through I'm hoping not to be forced into foreclosure. As a single mother I regret entirely ever stepping foot into the REDACTED sales presentation. Lesson learned.

While this experience is disgraceful, I’m particularly angered by the fact that the developer refuses to take back the timeshare, despite the fact they have $60,000 in cash. The CEO of this developer is fond of touting the “fact” that they are part of ARDA’s Responsible Exit coalition. Several misinformed media sources parrot what this CEO says, without so much as a follow up question. One reporter was “surprised” when I informed her that this developer charged $1,000 per contract to get out. It seems the CEO neglected to mention that in his attempt to get out his narrative. 

Instances like this clearly illustrate the need for more comprehensive timeshare reform. A 24-hour cooling off period, as some are calling for, would do nothing to prevent these sales tactics. 

No comments: