Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Here’s Another Consumer Crying Foul

This is an actual post/complaint which clearly illustrates the fact that some, perhaps too many, consumers are abdicating their responsibility when it comes to timeshare matters. I have redacted the developer’s name because it’s not about them; it’s about the consumer. 

The sales person kept me for about 4 hours and lied to me about the value of the shares and he also said I can cancel it any time and there is nothing to lose (all Lies) to make me buy the package.

The value of the shares were almost 1/10 of what he told me and I have not been able to cancel it either. It is impossible until after the whole price is paid.

He told me I don't need to read the manual because it's boring and he has told me what I need to know, but he hadn't and cost me $US15000 plus months of stress and sleepless nights.

I can't ever forgive them. Don't bother buying these shares, they are only working for their own benefits not yours.

I am having a hard time finding any empathy for consumers who allow themselves to be put in these situations. There are serious problems that need to be addressed in the industry. Addressing this just wastes time and energy. 



5 comments:

Susan Harbison said...

If this story is true, the consumer has a right to cry foul. In the eyes of the law the consumer is the victim of fraud. Even if the sales agent didn't lie, this gem of a developer blatantly violates many unfair and deceptive sales laws, any one of which would void the sale if the consumer had a way to prove it.
The victim is presented with a contract they can't possibly read and understand. They have no choice but to rely on the sales agent to honestly represent the contents of the contract. There is no other industry in this country that gets away with such blatant fraud. It is inconceivable to Americans, that they could be defrauded like this and have no recourse.
The purchaser is acting in good faith and the seller is not (another fact that would void the contract if it could be proven) and that makes the purchaser the victim.
I have to disagree with you here Lisa, lol. If we learn that a bank has been overcharging its customers by $100 a month for the past two years, would you say the victims should not get a refund because it was there duty to keep a closer eye on their account? Or would you say that the bank, that knew it was stealing money from its customers, should have to give the money back?

The Real Timeshare Crusader said...

Susan, I understand what you’re saying.

As I’ve said many times, I do not condone lying by any timeshare salesperson. It has to stop and there need to be far stricter laws governing what goes on at these pitches.

If you or I are presented with a contract/paperwork that I’m told not to bother with by the salesperson, 149 red warning lights would flash and we would not continue. Ditto with a 4 hour sales presentation when the paperwork clearly stipulates 90 or 120 minutes.

Your question about a bank overcharging customers every month is interesting because it illustrates one of the key problems with the timeshare industry: which is in 99% of the cases (DVC being the one exception that I know of) there is no “base price” for the consumer to refer to.

I appreciate your insights. What do you feel is necessary to right the industry? Or is it too late?

The Real Timeshare Crusader said...

Susan, I understand what you’re saying.

As I’ve said many times, I do not condone lying by any timeshare salesperson. It has to stop and there need to be far stricter laws governing what goes on at these pitches.

If you or I are presented with a contract/paperwork that I’m told not to bother with by the salesperson, 149 red warning lights would flash and we would not continue. Ditto with a 4 hour sales presentation when the paperwork clearly stipulates 90 or 120 minutes.

Your question about a bank overcharging customers every month is interesting because it illustrates one of the key problems with the timeshare industry: which is in 99% of the cases (DVC being the one exception that I know of) there is no “base price” for the consumer to refer to.

I appreciate your insights. What do you feel is necessary to right the industry? Or is it too late?

Susan Harbison said...

You and I are sophisticated consumers. The average person would never guess that the nice sales agent that has befriended them, would actually commit fraud to make a sale.
I think the entire sales meeting should be recorded and the purchaser should get a copy of the recording. I also think the FTC should investigate the unfair and deceptive practices that are rampant in the TS industry!

Susan Harbison said...

I don't think the industry could survive any interference in its unfair and deceptive practices.
I don't think it is too late to demand action from the FTC!