Monday, May 24, 2021

I’m The Timeshare Crusader

What does that mean?  In a nutshell; “Striving to be a catalyst for positive change in the timeshare industry as well as helping consumers make educated choices. Not affiliated with any timeshare or entity.”


I felt it was necessary to write today’s post because lately I’ve been accused of blaming the consumer and being a mouthpiece for the timeshare industry. 


Let me put it as succinctly as I can for my small contingent of detractors:  YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU’RE TALKING ABOUT. I’ve been at this for 21 years. I’ve seen the good, bad and ugly in the industry and in consumers. Anyone who has read even a tiny fraction of the more than 600 blog posts I’ve written, more than a few pages of the three books I’ve written or co-written or a small number of the more than 300 articles, radio programs and/or television programs I’ve been honored to be included in and still thinks of me as anything else than pro-consumer and unaware of some of the more nefarious tactics still in use by some in the industry is one of two things—-ignorant or biased by their own agenda. 


Does the consumer bear some responsibility for sales pitches that go on for 6 hours?  Yes. Or for finding out that the resale “value” of the $20,000 timeshare they purchased is only $2,000?  Yes. Or for buying yet more timeshare because they were lied to and told that no additional maintenance fees would be charged?  Yes.  


My goal has always been to arm consumers with the basic information they need before they even arrive at a timeshare resort. 99 times out of 100 however, they don’t. And worse yet, they forget Consumer 101 which is that the salesperson has one goal and only one goal…TO SELL SOMETHING. 


Can timeshare be sold with lying?  Yes.  I did it for more than 4 years. Can a consumer expect the salesperson to voluntarily disclose everything about the product, the usage rules, the resale value and/or the fact that the secondary market is awash with similar products at a tiny fraction of “today’s price”?  No. 


It’s pretty simple. The industry is not going to change on its own. It’s just a fact. They’ve been at this for 50 years now. Yes, I worked hand-in-hand with the leader of the timeshare industry in the US to craft the important document “Important Information For Buying A Timeshare https://www.arda-roc.org/important-information-for-buying-timeshare. And yes, I’m very proud that I’m the first outsider that the industry has worked with in disseminating consumer information. Is it everything consumers need to know?  No.  Are the less than honest salespeople going to voluntarily give it out to their customers?  Again, no. But it’s an important start and there’s absolutely nothing that smacks of me being a mouthpiece for the industry in there. Go ahead, read it. 


This mission that I’m on has never been about me; something that can’t be said about some others who hold themselves out to be the only voice that matters. However, when I’m attacked by those within or outside of the timeshare industry, you can bet I’ll stand up for myself. As will others that respect what I’m doing. 


One more thing, the powers that be in the timeshare industry are, as the old timers say, rolling on the floor laughing over the thought that I’m a mouthpiece for anyone other than myself. 


So now, my cape is straightened, my course is calibrated and I’m flying again. 

2 comments:

ITT Exit said...

very nice… I really like your blog. Very useful information.

Unknown said...

Lisa, you deserve much credit for trying to educate the novice consumer. However, most "naive" consumers will not read your recommendations before going on vacation. People who follow you will be those who are familiar with the industry and it's tactics. The industry needs change - like that in Spain. Spain does not allow contracts with points or floating weeks. Contracts cannot be perpetual. And there can be no transfer of funds for 14 days after a sales session.

In the U.S., a one day look/see period would be a good start. Maybe recording the sales session (as well as the signing session) would be positive. But, there are too many posts on the complaint sites, as well as Youtube that make the industry look like a bunch of shysters. It should change. Education is one thing, but change is another.